Rules & Regulations
Registration for the YPSI 24-Hour Film Shootout is an online ONLY process where entrants sign up, pay the registration fee to participate, and agree to the official rules.
Online Registration: Open when announced through October 8, 2016.
Saturday, October 8, 2016: Registered filmmakers check in 9-10am to confirm registration and get list of required elements. See Bulletin Board on website for location details. Sunday,
October 9, 2016: Filmmakers submit completed program on required media and Certification Form by 10 am at same location. NOTE: The official 24-hour production timeframe is from 10am 10/8/16 to 10am Sunday 10/9/16.
Friday October 14, 2016: Public screening 7-10pm (approximate)...see event info on website for updated details..
At the Kickoff Event on Saturday October 8, 2016, entrants will receive a list of specific elements that must be included in their movie. The required elements must be included.
Each project (Entry) must be 4-7 minutes in length: no less than 4 minutes in length or no longer than 7 minutes Total Running Time (TRT 7:00) - including titles and credits - with the count starting at the first frame of video. Entries that do not meet the TRT guidelines may be eligible for the public screening but NOT for consideration of prize awards.
The finished film/video must be submitted on a self-contained USB flash drive only. NO EXCEPTIONS!
The entered program should be the ONLY file on the submitted drive. YPSI 24 will not be responsible for failing to identify the entry if other files are present on the jump drive. Program should be rendered in H264 video format in a .MOV or .MP4 file. Please no large ProRES files or AVI files. For help converting your video please follow the guidelines set by Vimeo
The 2016 YPSI 24-Hour Film Shootout Official Rules and Disclaimers
ELIGIBILITY: The YPSI 24-Hour Film Shootout (YPSI 24) registration is open to adults ages 18 and above.
SELECTION OF WINNERS: Entries will be evaluated by a panel of independent judges who will score the eligible entries based on designated judging criteria and select the winners.
AWARDS: YPSI 24 intends to award Best of Show, 2nd, and 3rd Place winners, three (3) Honorable Mention Awards, and an Audience Award. The Audience Award is selected by a popular vote among the audience in attendance at the end of the YPSI 24 screening event. Changes in this award structure are at the discretion of YPSI 24.
Online entry registration will open on ypsi24.com
TO ENTER: Registration is an online ONLY process (ypsi24.com) via a link found on the YPSI 24 event website where entrants sign up, pay the registration fee to participate, and agree to the official rules. The YPSI 24 registration fee is $25 for 2016. This festival is “pay to play” – meaning if your team is unable to submit a project or complete the project within the given timeframe and/or fails to follow the rules and becomes disqualified, there are NO refunds.
For YPSI 24 purposes there are no restrictions (other than age of the Registrant) on who and how many cast and crew can participate on a team. However, the Registrant is responsible all elements of the production, therefore caution should be used when including minors as part of the cast or crew. It is recommended that a TALENT/CREW RELEASE FOR MINORS is held on file if minors are a part of a project.
(For a list of some release forms useable by filmmakers, click here)
The timeline for the 2016 YPSI 24 is as follows:
Online Registration: Open when announced through October 9.
Saturday, October 8, 2016: Registered filmmakers check in at Hyperion Coffee 9-10am to confirm registration and get list of required elements.
Sunday, October 9, 2016: Filmmakers submit completed program on required media and Certification Form by 10 am at same location.
Friday October 14, 2016: Public screening 7-10pm (approximate)...see Bulletin Board on website for location details.
YPSI 24 staff will determine the official time at which the filmmaking competition will both commence and conclude. The time standard set by YPSI 24 is indisputable and YPSI 24 offers no grace periods for teams/films submitting film projects after 10am; therefore any film(s) being submitted late are completely disqualified from the competition and are ineligible for prizes. See ypsi24.com for updates on the event schedule.
The YPSI 24 public screening including award winners as picked by the judges will be screened at 7-10 PM on Friday October 14, 2016 at the Towsley Auditorium at Washtenaw Community College. The top 24 films as determined by the judges and staff will be screened, therefor all entries may not be screened on October 14, 2016. Ac complete playlist for the screening will be announced prior to the screening event. Ballots are collected from the audience in attendance to determine the Audience. All award winners will be screened.
Each participating project must have a representative at the official Kickoff Event of YPSI 24 on Saturday, October 8, 2016. The team leader must show a copy of their registration order form (or Registration # assigned by YPSI 24). The signed YPSI 24 Certification Agreement (DOWNLOAD HERE) must be submitted when the finished project is delivered on Sunday October 9, 2016 or the project will not be eligible for prize consideration.
The Certification form signed by the team leader signifies that he/she has read and accepts the YPSI 24 Official Rules & Disclaimers covering the competition AND affirms that all members of the filmmaking team are aware of and agree with the YPSI 24 Official Rules and Disclaimers.
The following are Very Important Rules governing the YPSI 24 competition:
At the Kickoff Event on Saturday October 8, 2016, entrants will receive a list of specific elements that must be included in their movie.
The required elements must be included.
Each project (Entry) must be 4-7 minutes in length: no less than 4 minutes in length or no longer than 7 minutes Total Running Time (TRT 7:00) - including titles and credits - with the count starting at the first frame. Entries that do not meet the TRT guidelines may be eligible for the public screening but NOT for consideration of prize awards.
1. Calendar: After checking in on Saturday, Oct. 8, 2016 to receive the required elements, the participating team must complete its film/video work in 24 hours and deliver it to the designated location in Ypsilanti, Michigan on Sunday, Oct. 9, 2016 no later than 10am ET. The drop off location will be open at 9am and projects will be accepted at that time. Only works that meet the deadline and include the required elements will be officially part of the competition and eligible for prizes. Projects submitted late will be considered for screening – subject to the discretion of the YPSI 24 organizers.
2. The finished film/video must be submitted on a self-contained USB flash drive only. NO EXCEPTIONS!
- The entered program should be the ONLY file on the submitted drive. YPSI 24 will not be responsible for failing to identify the entry if other files are present on the jump drive.
- Program should be rendered in H264 video format in a .MOV or .MP4 file.
- YPSI 24 recommends that each team submit two copies of the completed project. If the Entry cannot be viewed on YPSI 24 equipment, it may be disqualified. Both SD and HD are accepted formats – no 3D. Sound levels should be relatively even throughout the film. If your film has uneven sound or sound that peaks in access, it may be modified to protect the playback equipment. Projection specs vary and are beyond the control of YPSI 24. If your film is very dark, it may be difficult to see in the theater.
3. All Entries Must Include The Following:
- Identification on paper as to which team it belongs including TITLE. Please do not label the title with the words “YPSI 24” as this is confusing.
- The actual program must include a group of elements that will be revealed at time of check in on Oct. 8, 2016, and may include a prop, a character type, a phrase/line of dialogue, or other distinct item. Each team will be required to use the same group of elements.
- The phrase or line of dialogue must be used verbatim. It may be spoken, sung, and/or written, and must be heard or readable on the screen in English. If in written form, it should remain on screen long enough to be recognized.
- The ONLY titles PRIOR to first video, appearing over black on each entry, should be “The 2016 YPSI 24-Hour Film Shootout” and the title of the film. The title of the film may be place over opening images of the film, but please no other titles including Director, etc. This allows the judges one full view without any names attached to the project.
- SUGGESTED: If a closing credit roll is desired by the filmmaker, it is suggested that after the final video the filmmaker adds the following title over black: The End to preceed the credit roll.
4. All primary creative activity must take place during the YPSI 24 “timed” period (Oct. 8-9, 2016). Creative work includes, but is not limited to: Shooting, Sound Recording, Editing, Rendering, Saving to media, etc. Any type of video or film camera may be used to capture original images.
5. Filmmakers may use any standard genre...documentary, mockumentary, narrative, comedy, horror, experimental, or musical.
6. Use of stock music or sound effects is permissible. YPSI 24 strongly recommends that filmmakers secure the rights to use any copyrighted audio or visual elements whether or not their use may constitute “fair use.”
7. All cast and crew must be volunteers.
8. Rolling crew credits must be placed at the end of film projects; please note that credits are not in addition to nor exclusive to the film project running time – that is, a credit roll is considered part of the TRT 7:00 maximum and any film that goes over that TRT 7:00 may not be considered for prize awards.
All costs associated with the production of the entries to YPSI 24 are solely the responsibility of the Entrant. YPSI 24 recommends that filmmakers use common sense when considering talent, music, locations, etc., to be used in their projects. Although documentation does not have to be submitted, it is recommend to secure permission from property owners for shooting locations and exercise safety when shooting. Sample release forms that may be used for talent, location, and music are available if desired here.
YPSI 24 requests that filmmakers submit a Crew Sheet that includes all names of principal contributors to the project, i.e., Producer, Director, Writer, DP, Audio, Composer, Actors (any that apply) along with the completed project.
THE FINE PRINT
To be eligible for the YPSI 24, Entries must be the original work of the Entrant; must not infringe third-party’s rights; must be suitable for publication (i.e., may not be obscene or indecent, or make hateful statements against anyone; must not contain obscene or pornographic material; may not contain defamatory statements about any person, company, organization or entity; may not invade privacy or other rights of any person, company or entity; may not in any other way violate applicable laws and regulations; and may not contain any copyrighted elements (other than as owned by the entrant and / or YPSI 24). Entries containing prohibited or inappropriate content as determined by YPSI 24 and the judges, may be disqualified. YPSI 24 reserves the right to make the final determination as to which Entries are eligible.
Entries to YPSI 24 should not be distributed or shown in any way prior to the YPSI 24 premiere screenings, including uploading to any website.
Prizes (TBA) will be awarded by YPSI 24 and will be determined by a panel of independent judges. The decisions of the judgers are final.
No entry documents will be returned. YPSI 24 will make a REASONABLE EFFORT to return flash drives only upon the entrant including a SELF-
ADDRESSED STAMPED ENVELOPE WITH THEIR ENTRY or make other arrangements after completion of the event. No exclusions will apply.
The YPSI 24-Hour Film Shootout organizers may add to or amend these rules at any time prior to the beginning of the 24-Hour time period.
By submitting an Entry into this Project, each Entrant warrants and represents that the Entrant owns (or has permission to) all rights to the Entry he/she is entering in this Entry, including, without limitation, the video or digital recording, and the performance contained in each Entry. Each Entrant further warrants and represents that the Entrant has obtained permission from each person who appears in the Entry to grant the rights to the Project Parties described in these YPSI 24 Official Rules & Disclaimers, and will submit copies of such permissions to the Project Parties upon request. By submitting an Entry, Entrant agrees to the Official Rules & Disclaimers, and further agrees to indemnify and hold the YPSI 24-Hour Film Shootout, YPSI 24 LLC, Washtenaw Community College, and any Project Partners and Sponsors and their respective affiliates, officers, directors, agents, co-branders or other partners, and any of their employees (collectively, the “Project Indemnities”), harmless from any and all claims, damages, expenses, costs (including reasonable attorney fees) and liabilities (including settlements), brought or asserted by any third party against any of the Project Indemnities due to or arising out of the Entrant’s Entry materials in this Project, or the Entrant’s conduct during and in connection with this Project, including but not limited to trademark, copyright, or other intellectual property rights, right of publicity, right of privacy or defamation. Entrant agrees to release, indemnify and hold harmless YPSI 24 and the Project Indemnities from any and all claims that any advertising, presentation, web content or any other material subsequently produced, presented, and/or prepared by or on behalf of YPSI 24 or the Project Indemnities infringes on the rights of Entrant’s work as contained in any Entry. Neither YPSI 24 nor any of the Project Indemnities are liable for any disputes between collaborators arising out of or related to the Project.
All YPSI 24 participants agree to grant YPSI 24 permission to use entrant materials in part or in whole for various promotions and advertisements including, but not limited to, screening on ypsi24.com, YPSI 24/YouTube, YPSI 24/Vimeo, and various other venues and formats.
CONDITIONS: By participating, Entrants agree to these Official Rule & Disclaimers that are final and binding in all respects.
LIMITATIONS OF LIABILITY AND RELEASE: No liability or responsibility is assumed by YPSI 24 LLC or Project Idemnities resulting from any user’s participation in or attempt to participate in the Project or ability or inability to upload or download any information in connection with participating in the Project. No responsibility or liability is assumed by YPSI 24 or Project Idemnities for technical problems or technical malfunction arising in connection with any of the following occurrences which may affect the operation of the Project: hardware or software errors; faulty computer, telephone, cable, satellite, network, electronic, wireless or Internet connectivity or other online communication problems; errors or limitations of any Internet service providers, servers, hosts or providers; garbled, jumbled or faulty data transmissions; failure of any e-mail transmissions to be sent or received; lost, late, delayed or intercepted e-mail transmissions; inaccessibility of the Website in whole or in part for any reason; traffic congestion on the Internet or the Website; unauthorized human or non- human intervention of the operation of the Project, including without limitation, unauthorized tampering, hacking, theft, virus, bugs, worms; or destruction of any aspect of the Project, or loss, miscount, misdirection, inaccessibility or unavailability of an email account used in connection with the Project. YPSI 24 and Project Idemnities are not responsible for any typographical errors in the announcement of prizes or these Official Rules, or any inaccurate or incorrect data contained on the Website. Use of Website is at user’s own risk. YPSI 24 and the Project Idemnities are not responsible for any personal injury or property damage or losses of any kind that may be sustained to users or any other person’s computer equipment resulting from participation in the Project, use of the Web Site or the download of any information from the Web Site. By participating in the Project, Entrant agrees to release, indemnify and hold YPSI 24 and Project Idemnities harmless from any and all claims, damages or liabilities arising from or relating to such Entrant’s participation in the Project. Winners will be posted online at http://www.Ypsi24.com, and the YPSI 24 Facebook page.